2021 Autumn Semester Flying Robot Project Team C Article 2December 01, 2021


This week, our group started making the frame. The first thing we did was to cut the carbon pipe to the required length using an electric saw. One of the TAs joked that many students have hurt their fingers while using this electric saw, so I was scared, but we were able to cut it to the required length without any troubles.
Kana and Nanako worked in pairs, and I worked alone on separate tasks. First, Kana and Nanako cut the protrusions on both ends of the servomotors. We did this was because in our airplane, the servomotors are going to be directly attached to the frame with glue, so we wanted to make them as closer to a rectangular shape as possible to make assembly easier. Next, they started to make the tail wings and the front and back edges of the main wings. Initially, the tail wings were to be made by cutting out balsa wood boards with a laser cutter, but we decided to make them by gluing thin wooden parts together by hands because they did not need much strength and it would be lighter. The front and back edges were made by measuring the length of a balsa wood board and cutting it out with a cutter.
Meanwhile, I was using the laser cutter to cut out other parts. However, a problem occurred. Even if I loaded the CAD data into the machine, it would not cut the parts to the size we had designed. Other groups were experiencing similar problems, and I lost a lot of time trying to figure out how to solve them. I don't know the root cause of the problem, but changing the data creation procedure seemed to work, so I would like to try it next time.