2018 Summer Semester Flying Robot Project Team E Article 3May 09, 2018


Let us start today’s briefing with this picture of a TRAGEDY that has fallen upon the piece we made last time! One of our teammates was taking a look at it and accidentally broke the piece in two. Lesson learned: Be careful when you treat balsa. However, if this kind of accident seems to continue, we might have to reconsider our design by, for example, making the circles smaller. We hope we would not have to do this, because then our plane would become heavier, and our landing gears would have to become lighter and stronger. We actually started making the elevator and the rudder with 2mm balsa and instant adhesive. It was difficult to make an acute angle, because we had to actually cut the balsa diagonally. We had to scrap a lot of balsa because we had a very hard time adjusting the angle and length of each piece. We also learned how to use the 3-D printer. We transferred our data to the printer, pushed the button and waited with our eyes wide open ... to see a small, strange object appear on the printer table. It seemed that it was hard to make the shape we wanted because some parts of of the model lacked support from the lower layers. One of our teammates came up with another mechanism to pick up and release the packages for the contest. This mechanism consisted of a hook whose angle we can change. However, when we were talking over this idea, we realized that the arrangement of the landing gears( e.g. whether we should make our plane a triad or a tail-dragger) largely affect how to pick up the packages. We also realized that we would have to run quite a distance on the ground to successfully pick up the packages, which means we have to design our gears pretty seriously. Uh, another problem! 写真にあるのはこの前作った部品の残骸です。班員の誰かが強度などをみつつ観察していたところパキッと行ってしまったようです。まあともかく、バルサを扱う時は注意しろ、ということですね(笑)。ただ、このような事故が続くようなら、例えば部材に空ける穴を小さくするなどして少しデザインを考え直す必要があるかもしれないねぇ、という話もでました。ただでさえ重量ギリギリなのでなんとしてもそれは避けたいのですが… また今回は尾翼を作り始めました。TAさんに教わったようにバルサの角材を瞬間接着剤で引っ付けたのですが、斜めの部分、特に鋭角が難しいと感じました。まだ色々慣れていないせいで結構バルサをダメにしてしまったりもありました。 また、今回は3Dプリンターの使い方も学びました。プリンターにデータを送り、ボタンを押して、みんなで目を輝かせながら見守った結果、何やら謎めいた、黄色い物体が出来上がりました。おそらく一部下に支えがないような構造をしていたせいでフィラメントがうまく乗らなかったからこうなったのだと思われます。 物資投下・回収用の装置のアイデアも少しずつ出し合っています。今回は角度を変えられるフックを使った機構を考えてきた人がいました。この構造の場合は着陸装置は尾輪式じゃなきゃダメだね、となったのは良いのですが、考えてみれば物資回収のためにはだいぶ床を走らなければならないということに気付いてしまい…安定した地上走行のためには前輪式の方が良いからなぁ…という感じでまだまだ課題ずくしなのであります。