Project-Based Learning プロジェクト ベースト ラーニング

What is PBL?

Project-Based Learning (PBL)

Project-based learning is offered in the “Flying Robot Project”, a part of “Creative Engineering Projects”. Junior and senior undergraduate students, as well as graduate students are welcome to join the project. An important goal of the project is to offer a chance to students to put in practice the knowledge they have gained in lectures to build and test their own aircraft. Following a PDCA (plan-do-check-act) cycle, the students analyze and solve an assignment, and validate their answer. During the aircraft building and flight test phases, the students work in teams, where discussions about the progress of each task helps the students develop their leadership, management and organizational skills.


Creative Engineering Projects (Undergraduate)

Creative Engineering Projects (Graduate)








Activities Reportactivities "Project-Based Learning" Report

  • December 10, 2019

    2019 Autumn Semester Flying Robot Project Team D Article 5

    Hello, I’m Kenta Tanada, a member of group D of flying robot project in 2019 autumn.
    In this week, we attached vertical tail and horizontal tail to the body and started to make some equipments to control rudder and elevator. However, now we have hard time finding better one that controls them efficiently and smoothly while it does not interfere with movement of other parts.
    We also made some parts that would be used to connect the main wing to the body and we figured out a good way to make the main wing detachable so that it would be easy to move our airplane.
    Next week, we are going to start making the main wing. At first, we are going to cut plywood board with laser cutters to make the frame of main wing. After that, we’ll cover the surface with paper. We also have plan to make an aileron on the main wing, so it will be harder than making normal wings. However, We enjoy this class and we are looking forward to completion of our airplane and this project.
    Thank you.

    read more
  • November 20, 2019

    2019 Autumn Semester Flying Robot Project Team B Article 2

    This time using a laser cutter, I cut out parts of the Magnus mechanism and tail parts (circle, rectangle and trapezoid) from the balsa. Since the width of the balsa was smaller than the turning radius of the Magnus mechanism, the two balsa were glued together using instant adhesive. Also, the motor was assembled by soldering. Next time, I will assemble the parts of the Magnus mechanism and decide which structure the propeller will be connected to.

    read more
  • November 20, 2019

    2019 Autumn Semester Flying Robot Project Team C Article 3

    In the last meeting, we were going to create a protector for the propeller by using veneer and make a propeller joint for the drone with a 3D printer today.
    In fact, today, we completed to make the production of the propeller joint of the drone body by a 3D printer as planned last week. The products are shown by a photo posted in this blog. By touching the product with our hands, we found that the ABS resin used in the 3D printing is more resistant to deformation and fracture than we expected.
    The 3D printer is also making propeller protection parts. The work I did this time was to cut the plate into bars, so I finished making almost all the bars.
    On the other hand, as for the drone body, although the material balsa plate arrived, we could not use the laser cutter well, so the production process was not going well. This problem occurred by a mistake how to convert the file to a file that matches the laser cutter. The next time, we will make use of this failure to make the parts as shown in the blueprint with a laser cutter.

    read more
  • November 20, 2019

    2019 Autumn Semester Flying Robot Project Team D Article 4

    Today, we received our parts and the flight controller team discussed what program we should make for the drone. The picture shows what we got: four servo motors for the ailerons and the elevators, a micro computer, a sensor with an accelerometer, a gyro sensor and a geomagnetic sensor, ESC and lastly, a motor.
    We came up with four programs required for the project.
    First, we need a program to send information from the drone to the controller. By knowing the state of the drone and its program, we will be able to do the debugging.
    Next, we need to decode the data that was sent by the controller. Since processing must be in real time when controlling an airplane, we must have the decoding process interrupting other processes when some information was sent from the controller.
    Then, we have to control and stable the aircraft. We will be controlling the servo motors via the PID control based on the data from the accelerometer.
    Finally, we should have a program which decides in what angle should the aircraft fly.

    As a first step to accomplish our goal, we will try to receive data from the accelerometer.

    read more
  • November 20, 2019

    2019 Autumn Semester Flying Robot Project Team E Article 2

    This week, we originally planned to make a circuit and code for reading S-BUS.
    However, only after we gather at the classroom and started working on it, did we realize we didn’t have enough electric parts to make a circuit, so we changed the original plan and went to shopping to get the necessary goods first.
    It turned out that considering what to buy and how many to buy were also difficult enough, and we spent almost half an hour on that…
    After we came back from shopping, we started implementing the code consulting a sample code on the Internet.
    Hence, summing up today’s lecture, we kept struggling with SBUS stuff, and could do almost nothing…
    I hope we could complete implementing SBUS code and circuit in the next class...

    read more